An AIDS related death reached its alarming stage as one of the leading causes of death in 2004 since the 1986 case notified in Ethiopia, which created multifaceted problems in the country.
Thus, the response against HIV/AIDS needed concerted effort and commitment in coordination and leadership. As a result of this, the National HIV/AIDS Prevention and, Control Council and the HIV/AIDS Prevention and Control Office were established in June 2002 by Proclamation No. 276/2002.
The objectives of the HIV/AIDS Prevention and Control Office shall be to coordinate and direct the implementation of the country's HIV/AIDS Policy and it has the following duties and responsibilities.
- Serve as the secretariat of the Council;
- Submit for the approval of the Government a national HIV/AIDS program prepared on the basis of the recommendations of the Council; follow up and coordinate the implementation of same;
- Coordinate the activities of federal and regional government organs and non-governmental organizations engaged in HIV/AIDS prevention and control activities and facilitate conditions for integration;
- Organize local and international meetings and workshops for enhancing the awareness of the society about HIV/AIDS and facilitate conditions for organizing same;
- Participate in national and international conferences on prevention and control of HIV /AIDS;
- Collect and compile information on the general situation of HIV/AIDS in the country and disseminate same to all concerned, as deemed necessary;
- Draw a devise whereby support is obtained by creating contact with various donors;
- Ensure that the money secured in donation and the budget allocated by the Government is properly utilized;